Spam are unsolicited messages sent in bulk by email systems. They are the unwanted messages often referred as Junk mails.
Spam emails are the messages on which recipient has not granted permission to be sent.Moreover, it is about consent and not content.
If an solicited message is sent and in bulk then the message is spam. All the worldwide internet service providers has banned the sending of Unsolicited Bulk Email(UBE). There are various spam filters who identifies the spam emails ,finds out the source and then submits the IP for blacklisting But, by the time the spam filters works users have already allowed it into there system.
How do Users Recieve spam emails? #
Recieving spam emails is one big problem faced by most of the email users. The users might receive spam emails because of the following reasons:
- They receive spam emails when their email ids are obtained by the automated softwares that scrutinises the internet for email addresses also called as spambots.
- Email addresses can also be leaked during the data leakage. It means that sometimes data from many organizations gets leaked which might contain important data like name,passwords, email addresses and numbers. This data could be used by spammers for performing illegal activities.
- Some dishonest email marketers sell there mailing lists containing email ids of customers to spammers.
- Also, one common reason is if the users are having a very common name with popular domain names in that case, it is very likely for the spammers to generate there email addresses .
How to Avoid spam emails? #
- if you suspect any email as spam or dangerous then avoid interacting with such emails and immediately report to spam filters.
- Try not to open spam emails as when you do,spammers realise that the address is valid and they continue sending junk emails.
- Do not share your email address with strangers or random websites as they can leak your email addresses to spammers.
Some Spam Laws :- #
Different countries introduced their own spamming laws . some of the popular laws are :-
- CAN-SPAM Act – introduced by United States, It is the law set for commercial Mailing.There are certain rules set for the email marketing which must be followed by all the Email marketers while sending emails.
- Anti Spam Regulation – introduced by Canada. CASL(Canada’s anti-spam legislation ) is the which deals with various electronic threats as well as with spam.
- Spam Act of 2003 – introduced by Australia. It is an act passed by the Australian Parliament in 2003 to manage commercial emails .it restricts spam e-mails as well as restricting the process of acquiring the lists of email addresses.