A transactional email is a type of email sent to assist an agreed-upon transaction between the sender and the recipient. Transactional emails typically contain information a recipient needs or wants and therefore have very high open rates.
Unlike promotional emails which are sent in bulk of the same marketing message to a lot of recipients simultaneously, transactional emails are sent personalised and usually sent to individuals one at a time.
Usually transactional emails are used for following reasons:
Account Creation Emails #
As one of the first transactional emails a subscriber will get from your brand, account creation emails are important to establishing a relationship with your users. Use these emails as an opportunity to connect with your subscribers and begin a trustworthy communication with them.
These emails help to:
- Update a subscriber that their account has been formed/created.
- Provide next steps or additional instructions.
- Create a relationship with a new subscriber.
Password Reset Emails #
These emails allow users to recover passwords or set new ones in an attempt to gain access to your application. This kind of transactional email is important to any application that requires a password.
Purchase Receipt Emails #
Customers expect purchase receipt emails from any online seller they do business with. Delays in email receipt, or emails being received in the spam folder can lead to a poor user experience with your brand and may impact revenue.
Points to consider when making purchase receipt emails include: #
- Emphasise on your brand and brand guarantee with proper branding and design of your purchase receipt emails.
- Add details of purchase, like payment details, purchased item, shipping location, etc.
- Make sure purchase receipt email model is responsive and optimised for diverse devices.
Account Notification Emails #
When developing your mobile app or web, you need to think how you will alert or notify your users about important activities going on in your app. These transactional emails cover a wide range of notification use cases, but also serve to uphold the relationship with your brand.
Account notification use cases to consider include: #
- Updates about existing user permissions.
- Alerts based on updates or account usage to important business metrics.